View Single Post
Old 09-16-16, 01:06 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: RIP Silent Hunter Online...

When I 1st learned about it being online, an playable as a multi player sim, I was overjoyed.. as the very 1st version I played was Silent Hunter: Commander's Edition.. on an IBM compatible pc, running Win 98 SE. Sadly, the game didn't port over too well, to later newer computers... an so I let it go by the wayside for a while.. until I did a search on google.. of all things, that Ubi had not long released it.. release date was like.. in 2011.

I signed up, an started playing 12/25/2012.. an kept up with it, since then.. Its had its ups & downs in the preceding time.. but despite them, was alright.. some missions glitched up, with inaccurate info.. such as ship names, an not being able to finish them out, after spending time an effort into them... to server stability issues, an error codes... the graphics were pretty decent, for a web browser, flash based game. Only thing missing was seeing men running about as their ships were attacked..

Development was ongoing, until 2/27/2014, when Ubi decided to stop working on it.. a shame really, as it did have potential, despite the issues.. personally, I think it would probably have worked better, had Ubi, done it as a stand alone launcher based.. like WoW, Star Wars: TOR, Star Trek Online.. or other games along those line.. but.. that is just my own opinion..

I guess in overall review, that it was not a cash cow, like some of their other offerings online & otherwise are & were.. a sad commentary.. as there seems to be more of a push to games being downloaded, rather than released on like.. CD disk format.. which to me, has its pros & cons.. more in my own opinion, of the latter.. I personally enjoy the feeling of holding in my hands the fruits of my labor, in buying a game.. much less movie or music.. an knowing that it is mine... an can play it off line, as well as on, any time I want to.

I know some are still set up to be played either way, but some aren't.. an that's what worries me... as I have seen complaints of gamers being banned for some slight infraction.. or perceived one, then not being able to defend themselves or be heard. Then there goes your investment down the tubes.. I know SHO, wasn't set up as a download, but getting back to the meat of the subject.. an that being SHO..

One thing I have to say, was that the support staff was top notch & 2nd to none, in my opinion.. with sub losses that occurred due to server instability, being returned fairly quickly, unless it occurred during a holiday.. which was understandable.

After learning of SHO's impending doom.. with being deep six'ed on the 31st of next month, I created a group on Facebook, so that players could have a way & means to stay in touch with friends made while playing. If any who played or are still playing until the end, would like to know more about the group there, they can message me here, an will be glad to provide the name of the group.

I do know that it has been talked about, approaching Ubi, an asking of it being considered, to see of it being ported over to Steam, an letting them continue it.. if that has been done.. I have no idea.. other than it was talked about by some other players I know in the game.

Until it does shut down.. will keep playing.. as it is.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote