Thread: Radar
View Single Post
Old 01-08-21, 10:44 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
Even today, heavy snow, rain and fog wreaks havoc on radar performance. That being said, not detecting a target until it's at 4000 yds. is rather strange. The radar antenna is not that high on the mast and if the boat is pitching in rough seas, yet another problem

The questions that come to mind:

Are you depending on your radar operator or interpreting the sweep yourself?

Are you using the PPI or A scope? Once you know what to look for, the A scope can give you much more accurate data. You can manually sweep the antenna using the home/end keys to zero in on a 'tent' in the weeds. I always wished SH included a J scope display. Much easier to interpret and very accurate. I guess radar is not radar unless you have the circular sweep.
we were patrolling, actually i think we were transiting to a new patrol area. when i do that, i rely on the radar operator and do NOT monitor the scope myself because the TC is limited to 32 or 64.
when i am transiting, the TC is usually 512 or 1024. Never higher.

but your point is that had I been monitoring the scope myself i would have seen blips at >4000 yards? if i can see that on the radar monitor why cant the AI operator see it and sing out with the Contact (rhetorical question)?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote