View Single Post
Old 11-20-09, 10:16 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Well said!! It all comes down to what one believes in.

List me under the evolution column. And I see no reason why God could not have created the world and that's the process he employed. That's what I believe.
A scientific theory - different to popular assumption - does not claim to hold the ultimate truth (maybe some irresponsble scientists do that, but the serious ones do not object to that a scientific theory is no absolute, but a relative, a tempoarry, always chnaging thing), but claims to be the best explanation for obervations made that we so far can come up with. It gets checked constantly and gets verified or abandoned or changed. In this meaning, there is no believing in scientific theories. they are no beliefes, but logical conclusions on the basis of documented observations. They differ where the data basis on observations differ. Just claims being made - are no valid observations.

religious claims are not object of examination, they never have been, they do not want to be, and they even cannot be. They are just this: claims. And just claiming you can whatever you want. You either believe these claims, or you don't.

Scientific theories describe a relative perspective of temporary validity.
Religious claims pretend to be absolute.

Science is a constant process.
Religion is a frozen (pretended) end-status.

Science asks questions.
Religion claims to know all answers without ever needing to ask questions. It even declares asking questions a sin and heresy. You should not want to know, you should just beolieve - the dogma of the religion, that is.

Just believing you can whatever you want, nobody must care as long as you keep it private. In religion, if you blindly believe the right things you are virtuous. In science, you have to work for evidence. If you do not, you are not serious.