View Single Post
Old 03-09-11, 07:45 AM   #2253
VonApist
Navy Dude

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Restarted carrer - Back to the basics now commanding a Type II from Wilhelmshaven.After an uneventful patrol i decided to try my luck in Portsmouth Harbor. Still 1939 so I thought I could make a try for it - and i was right. Running submerged during the day while crossing the channel, I "moored" 5 Kms away from the mouth of the harbour, submerged and all stopped at 30m depth (shallow waters made all of the crew quite edgy). At 22:00, surfaced the boat, recharged batteries and got some fresh O2. 01:30 made my way, surfaced, to the "mouth" checking depth under keel every 10 mins to get a feeling of the "legspace" i might need. Suprisingly, no destroyers around! The moment i passed the "mouth" of the harbour, day is breaking i again submerge (17m with harbour depth at 20m) and wait the day out. At 23:00 we make the surface , replenish oxygen and head towards the docks. Nothing spectacular. 1 tanker + 1 Merchant. 3 torpedoes later, they are down in flames and i make my way ahead full towards the "mouth". An armed trawler is shooting at me, but i have no deck gun not the will to engage in the harbor. Luckily i make it to the mouth without serious damage (hull integrity 98%). I keep my boat on the surface ahead full. Its after midnight and now a destroyer is after me. Depth under keel 35m - no point in submerging and i have no aft torpedo tubes. Well not many options here, as the destroyer is now close enough and starts shelling. I try to zig zag as much as possible - depth under keel now at 50 so i crash dive at 45m full rudder right. 1 torpedo has been reloaded so im not completely naked. I order silent running. Destroyer is almost above me so full ahead and rudder full left - i hear the charges splashing but at 45m it wont take much time. Bang Bang Bang... No damage, but very close. Full ahead, i have a some mins until the destroyer's sonar man recalibrates after the explosion - turning my boat towards the destroyer - at 45m she wont ram me. I dont want to shoot as the angle is tight and if i miss she will spot me in a moment. I make a pass beneath her and order silent running again.Now she is bearing 170 making circles - distance 750m. I keep my running silent and try to put more distance. I get pinged again. I decide to engage as if i hold the hide and seek , another destroyer will appear and in 50m depth i will have no chance. When I surface she is at 600m and the angle is acceptable. I fire tube 1 (slow speed, depth 7m, magnetic) - make or break. Thank God its make and the destroyer gets it. Periscope down, depth 45 full ahead. Im lucky enough to hit probably the engines. She's not down but moving very slow (slower than me which is a feat!). Putting distance now, i've been very lucky. Surfacing, its 02.30 full ahead to deeper waters. Job done with a great amount of luck... The crew probably thinks I am the "iron coffin guru" but we were very lucky that its 1939, there was only one destroyer and that it was night. Back to port...
"Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov
VonApist is offline   Reply With Quote