Old 03-27-10, 10:26 AM   #117
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Solved "cannot connect to speech server" - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Infanterie19 View Post
Ok, I resolved my problem in which SHSpeechEngineTest couldn't connect to the SHSpeech server, so I thought I'd post it in case it helps someone else.

For my setup (in Windows 7 Ultimate), I use the mic on my logitech 9000 webcam (which works great) and my speakers. The webcam mic didn't have a port listed (such as usb, front mic, etc.), so after seeing your post to Gusteno8, I tried to set the headphones mic as default, to no avail. I tried to disable the headphones mic, to no avail. I then "overruled it from the speechrecognition settings" as you suggested in that post, and made my headphones mic my preferred device. That got the SHSpeechEngineTest to connect to the Speech Engine Server and allowed me to issue commands. I then reset my logitech 9000 webcam to be my preferred device, reloaded SHSpeechEngineTest, and it still worked. To make sure it wouldn't revert back to not connecting to the server, I restarted my pc and tried again. All was good. I tested it in game, and it works fine.
I've encountered yet another thing that could cause the "cannot connect to speech server" problem. The SHSpeechEngine appears to need a connection to MIT in order to run. I always have PeerBlock running, but the other day, I didn't realize that I had set it to block HTTP. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get voice in game all of a sudden. I was checking all kinds of settings to no avail. It was frustrating, because I knew I hadn't changed anything . Finally, I started testing SHSpeechEngineTest outside of the game, and each time I ran it, I saw PeerBlock's icon flash. I checked the log and saw that MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) needed access, so I set it to "allow" permanently, and then VRFS (Voice Recognition for SH5) worked.

I hope that helps someone, somewhere, sometime.