View Single Post
Old 12-21-09, 06:51 PM   #251
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

My problem with the concept of God with regards to the Jewish/Christian/Muslim God, is that I can't reconcile the fact that, if God actually created everything when and how the Bible says he did, than why did he create so much proof to the contrary of how the Bible depicts it?

Using theory and experimentation, we can be reasonably sure that the universe is roughly 13.7 billion years old. Now the Bible tells us something quite different.

But see, here's the thing: despite what many religious practicioners claim, believing in such is not merely a matter of faith. If faith was the question, than fine - I'd have at it. Except that it isn't.

One has to not only have faith in religious texts but ALSO discount items we can PROVE are contradictory.

To me that's akin to staring at a blue sky and believing its pink because you've invested trust in a concept that purports the sky to be pink.

I have faith in what I can see, feel, and verify. I do not have faith in abstract concepts that CONTRADICT what I can see, feel, and verify.

On the other hand, I do not seek to deprive anyone of said faith. Belief is a decision, one that can have a wonderful impact on anyone should they harness it properly.

I just can't bring myself to share in it.

Finally, I don't see religious beliefs as a failing. Quite frankly, I wish I could share in many of them. That I can't, makes me see myself as flawed.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote