View Single Post
Old 12-14-09, 02:30 AM   #205
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
I've no idea what that has to do with what I posted but it's interesting at least.

What would constitute "scientific proof" of God's existence? If a big bearded face appeared in the sky, visible to everyone, and said "I am God. I created the universe" would that be proof? No, not of God. It would be proof that there is a big face in the sky.

One will tend to run into big problems when making statements involving the "scientific proof" of something that isn't even "scientifically" defined.

I could say I am an atheist not so much because there is no scientific proof of (the Christian) God, but because the (Christian) definition of God makes no sense to me. Asking me to believe in him is like asking me to believe in a purple Tuesday.
Sorry, I usually start saying something but end up with the Chinese Wall. What I meant was that Evolution doesn't contradict Creation and viceversa. By scientific proof I mean any complete theory that can explain Creation.

For example, for centuries it was thought that the world was flat (except for a few crazy greeks). Stars were charted and believed to be gods flying over the flat and infinite earth. Then came the idea that the world was round. Stelar navigation became possible and it's laws were mostly drawn back then. Continents were discovered using a single compas and burning candles. It took more time for people to accept that the world, although round, was moving around the sun. But did this have anything to do with navigation? No. A simple round earth was enough to change history, even though the image was incomplete.

It only took one simple experiment made by Eratosthenes to calculate the radius of the earth with 2 sticks and an hourglass. Yet with all our science we have not ONE proof of God, one single smart experiment to explain Creation. As with the stars themselves, we still see gods flying around on the sky. Believe me, when that proof arrives, you'll notice it . And as with the above example, it doesn't even need to be a complete one .

But that doesn't mean that I share the Christian belief about a bearded God. I'm more of a Tolstoi/Dostoievsky believer, a searcher.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote