View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 05:28 AM   #38
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Were they deployed? I am aware of RN testing those systems on T-boats but I havent seen signs of their mass deployement.

As to the Baracuda class SSN - it seems to be a minimalistic SSN to me. And while it does have some stand off capability - does it have trully long range AShMs (>300km), LAMs (>2000km)? Or the means to cue and guide them onto targets?

What I do find strange about Baracuda is the use of the cylindrical bow.
The USN and RN boats don't have very long range AShM, the TASM was retired some time ago and LRASM doesn't have, AFAIK, a sub-launched version (the sub-launched Harpoon goes 140 km, IIRC). As for the range of the LAM, yes, MdCN's lower than the most recent TLAM's (the US currently makes better disposable turbojets). In terms of off-board communication, they seem to be roughly equivalent to other NATO SSN.

They're smaller, so they carry less weapons (but then, the French doctrine isn't about fighting massive naval wars, being able to whack on the head anyone who looks at overseas territories is enough, as well as being a credible threat for larger navies), but they seem highly optimized for coastal warfare, in good part due to their hybrid propulsion system (which the US tried a few decades ago, abandonned due to low efficiency with the tech then and appear to plan for their next SSBN class), small size and the dedicated equipment (dry dock shelter, for example). Won't be the most armed or fastest oceanic boat, but still stealthy and armed enough to not be overlooked, and potentially terrifying in coastal waters.

PS: so many acronyms... X_X

Last edited by Rufus Shinra; 11-21-19 at 05:41 AM.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote