View Single Post
Old 07-28-17, 04:21 PM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It's a conjectural 'field mod' conventional Mk45 inspired by the Freedom torpedo. In game it uses the Mk14 warhead along with a Mk37 guidance package. Could make it a none wireguided homer so it's more like a SET-65.
Hm, I remember you guys mentioned possibly doing a Mk 37C, I've more or less created one in the OAS mod and I do find it to be somewhat fun and "realistic" (as in it performs as you think it should). At 36 knots it can run down anything in 1968, including Victor Is but, while I've improved the sensors somewhat, its not in the same neighborhood as the Mk 48. Engagement-wise it plays a lot more like the standard Mk 37 where in many cases a good bit of manual control is required to get it on target, and even then at a Victor I going flank speed, you're only talking about a 3-5 knot closing speed so its certainly not a wonder weapon.

Going non-wire-guided on a Mk 45 mod could make a bit of sense as by nature this would be something "thrown together" that would sure make it simpler. From all the reading I've done, I think the reason that the Navy never went down that route (improving the Mk 45 as it was a fast, electric torpedo that they already had in inventory), was that the range was considered too short. My understanding is that the "freedom torpedo" much like the work that was initiated on the Mk 37C (until the Navy got involved because, more or less they liked what Honeywell showed them) came from the private sector.