View Single Post
Old 07-24-17, 01:00 PM   #15
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
I'm curious from an implementation standpoint - more a developer question - is noise level based more on reactor setting or knots?

So let's say we've got a Skipjack and a Sturgeon. Sturgeon is, by the game files, a quieter noise level boat. But is that at equivalent speed, or equivalent reactor setting?

For example, both boats going 20 knots. Skipjack may only have to be at Standard to achieve this, Sturgeon at Full (just guessing, without verifying in game). Will the Sturgeon be quieter at equivalent speed? Or is that nullified by the fact that it's running at a higher reactor setting?
I don't believe relative plant noise is factored into the game. You have your ownship noise level as specified in the .txt file for the ship, which is then modified by whatever speed the ship is running at. So for something like a Skipjack or a November, that noise is going to be through the roof no matter what it is doing. Ditto for stuff like the Los Angeles or Narwhal being quiet.
The trouble is, this makes certain things (like the claims that the Alfa was actually a quiet boat until it was cranked up, or the "blade-rate" related noise suffered by the early Skipjacks and Permit class with 5 blade screws at certian speeds) impossible to replicate.

What I'm not sure about is whether or not Silent Running will bring you below the base noise-level or just down to it, but other than that you'd have ownship noise + speed modifier.