View Single Post
Old 10-14-19, 04:09 PM   #1612
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Randomizer:
"This new XXI career and 48-hours in with Lerwick bearing NNE about 300km and not a single aircraft has appeared to disturb my surface transit. This despite wonderfully clear late summer conditions on the Norwegian Sea. It's almost like one might expect in September 1939 and not 1944! Should I not be seeing more planes?
"PS - I understand that SH3 may have a glitch where TC > x516 causes aircraft to disappear so at no time does TC exceed x256 when I play the game.
"PPS - The last mod that overwrites the files in the Campaign folder is NYGM3_6F and I have edited none of those files."

I've checked the NYGM files, and all the basic mods that have a separate basic.cfg include the change to eliminate the Type XXI U-boat problem that results in the problem of the Main Pump being destroyed as soon as the player begins a patrol. So the problem may lie elsewhere, perhaps with a corrupted zones.cfg file. My set-up runs with no problems with the type XXI.

Concerning the problem of lack of aircraft - there should be a lot of them in the western half of the North Sea and around Iceland. This may be due to another corrupted file. This issue can be easily checked - just reinstall the main NYGM mods in the correct order and then play with a Type XXI U-boat.

Concerning the issue of aircraft availability at different time compressions. I've covered this issue somewhere in the distant pass, but I can't find the link. But the central point is that you get a sighting of an aircraft when you are within visual range of it. If you play at high TC, the aircraft makes large jumps from place to place at each time point, while your U-boat is also moving in large jumps.

So the higher the TC, the more likely an aircraft is to jump over your U-boat without ever being visible, and equally the greater the chance of your U-boat jumping under the aircraft without seeing it. The aircraft are not invisible, they just keep jumping around you in large leaps at high TC, so most of the time they are out of visual distance. Even so, you will sometimes, by the law of averages, see aircraft at even very high TC - just less often than at (say) 256 TC.

Good luck!
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote