View Single Post
Old 08-20-11, 03:42 PM   #18
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
BTW, I disagree with Zeewolf here. It's not because he and me are interested in two very different titles, but because post #10 in here. Simulations still find an audience willing to pay, if they are justifying their price with quality. That is true for flightsims, and for racing sims, and for subsims. It also is true for tanksims, and especially for WWII tanks, the market is bigger than for contemporary tank sims. But Steel Fury and TvT got published by a publisher cheating on the developement teams, and also at release time both games imo simply were not good, even when not considering them as hardcore sims (which they are not), but "games". Both titles are no longer officially available, as far as I know, the publisher went bancrupt, the support ceased almost immediately after release. But this forum and as well feedback in nother gaming forums show that there difintely is intrerest in taksims, and especially WWII tank sims. But also, there is still the occasional mentioning of M1 Tank Platoon 2, and of course Steel Beasts 1 and Pro PE. Many People would love to see a Tank Platoon 3, which often simply means: an SBP with contemporary graphics and for the price of just one instead of two games, because what drives people away from SBP most often is the price before anything else.

I do not see tanksims being under more pressure than all PC gaming, not at all. You just have to deliuver the kind of quality people expect, for the price of an ordinary game.Eagle Dynamics and their DCS flightsims are much more a niche product, due to the immense complexity of these study sims. And still they find their market. SBP comes at the cost of two games, and okay, the game market is just a bonus for them, not their core business, but still - it finds its customers in the public private sector, due to mouth propagfanda for its good quality. The demand for Steel Fury seems to have declined massively, which does nto surprise me, since I think it was no well-done title _ I tested it back then, and as an arcade game rfated it reaosnably good, but as a sim below par. TvT was released in a hopelessly prermature statuzs and in a bad status - rushing out unfinsihed relases this way certainly will not establish such games a good reputation, and backfire agaiunst the publisher and developer as well in the long run.

So when there is difficult times for tank developers, then maybe that is because they are responsible for that all by themselves...? This does not go against Zeewolf, I do not like TvT, but I never have tested his mod, so I do not comment on what he is doing. I just want to put his absolute statement a bit into relation.
Well,thanks for your input about tank sims...Indeed, I tried some a few years ago, but some have changed, and then I am a bit novice in this topic,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote