Thread: PMDG J41
View Single Post
Old 07-05-12, 07:41 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I finally managed to get it airborne, fly one round manually, and land it safely. Lovely flioght model, I think, cannot say whether it is relaistic or not since I am no real J41 pilot, but it feels right: heavy, not really agile, you have to plan your turns' diameter carefully, there is a good delay in plane reaction to steering input, it really feels very satisfactory and rewarding. Also, engine and propeller management must be handled with care indeed, the engine temperature must be carefully monitored all the time. I have blown the engine one more time in midair.

The only complaints I have is that there are not quick windows to especially the most difficult panel to scan, the overhead. you either wind your head and brake your neck when using TrackIR, or you press "A" 7ven or 8 times to rotate through several virtual cockpit perspectives. Only the FMC has a 2D panel that can be accessed via Shift-number. Else it is purely virtual 3D cockpit exclusively. the seocnd complaint is the manual. It is thick and throughly done, and in good AOM manner it indeed explains every instrument well and in detail. But it gives no information on procedures, on how to operate the plane, how to start the engines. This I need to collect via internet tomorrow. I have NO IDEA how to start the engines, I accidentally killed them and never was able to relaunch them again.

Ah, and nice live icing effects, deicing ac tullay not only make sense now, but is a necessity, else you cannot see a thing through the window anymore. And good rain textures they have put in, too. No broken things I stumbled over so far.

This rates amongst the best three or four aircraft addons I have tried in all my FS career. Great stuff.

P.S. Just saw there are more pdfs, one of which is a 100 page tutorial where operations and engine start seem to be covered.