Thread: TDC
View Single Post
Old 08-14-09, 04:29 PM   #14
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

I think I see the misunderstanding here and it's likely in part to my overly particular nature. I'm saying that ownship motion is not necessary to have a valid solution at the moment of firing. If, at the instant of firing, targetRange-AoB-targetSpeed are correct then the solution is correct.

The ownship motion only comes into play keeping a correct solution correct over time, which is replacing the previous solution with a newer solution. The ownship course and speed are not involved in the individual solutions themselves. I would like to highlight the distinction between a solution proper and an evolution of a solution. The former consists of a picture using (relative) target position & motion while the latter is an operation that needs (relative) motion of ownship as well as (relative) target position & motion to transform one picture into the next.

As for the German TDC, it's been a while since I've used it last so I had to remind myself. The only "update solution helper" that it has is a tie between the periscope bearing and the AOB setting which is something the American TDC doesn't do. So as periscope bearings are made the AOB updates to maintain the relative target couse using a very simple mathmatical relationship. The effect is that not only does changing ownship heading degrade the solution, so does any change in range. The German TDC (outside of constant range special cases) is a perfect example of a TDC that provides only instantaneous solutions.

I'm pretty confident that the German TDC doesn't have ownship speed and course information because such data only have 2 possible uses:
1. Continuous solution a la PK
2. Converting/duplicating all relative courses and bearings to their magnetic equivilent like the American TDC does with its inner/outer ring dials.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote