View Single Post
Old 12-31-06, 11:19 PM   #5
Andy
Watch

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage
The message you come with is valid for normal game companies. Sonalysts isn't.

Their main customer is the us navy. SCS charge them a lot more for what may be a enhanced version; yet if they can find a mod doing the very same thing, free, will they pay SCS for it?

They are doing this in order to NOT shoot themselves in feet, legs or hips.

Then again, even without the legal restrictions, there's one heck of a lot we can't do, without a huge effort. Aegis interfaces, for example, will be outside our reach unless we can create them pretty much from scratch. Unless we learn how the communication between DW and the interfaces work, we can't do that. (I and Ludger looked into that a bit once, though I don't remember if that was DW or SC.)
This is incorrect. Usage of mods off the internet does not work in this fashion. We just purchased a major sim. I was the one that introduced it to my command. The command is very restrictive about using open source and free material.

The fact that you must have the original for the mod to run only makes the idea of purchasing the actual product MORE attractive and likely. The fact that there are free add-ons that require the base product increases sales for the base product. If a mod runs without owning the original product in an illegal fashion then the military, at least in the US, won't touch it. Sorry, but your conclusions are in error.

Free mods that enhance an original product that would have to be purchased in order to run said free mods increases sales of the original. Period.

By not allowing free mods they decrease the attraction of their base product and REDUCE government sales rather than increase them.

If the government bought the product and said - we don't want this looking any better or more functionally realistic than it is so that foreign agents can't use it as a training tool then that is certainly possible. But highly highly unlikely that such an agreement was put down in writing. Personally I am looking for another company to build a sub sim that realizes the sales value in modding.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote