View Single Post
Old 09-13-19, 06:51 PM   #2487
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlee720 View Post
Just started playing SH5 and wanted to know if there is a fix to the number torpedos it takes to kill a small ship.
Generally one should be enough for at least up to 7000 tons, but conceivably up to 15,000 depending on crew size and damage control capacity. You just gotta "hit it good!" meaning, low enough that flooding is good, and close enough that the explosion actually makes a hole (larger is better). Causing immediate damage to things like engines (which ostensibly provide power for things like pumps) is bonus, and hitting explody things like fuel or ammo ++bonus!

I don't know how the game handles damage control. But in terms of real life: in the absence of a large and well-trained crew and a vessel that is built for extravagant damage control (e.g., an carrier or battleship or large cruiser) one torpedo that is "a good hit" should be able to kill just about anything. If it doesn't then it "wasn't a good hit."

Recommendations: only shoot at things at 1500 m or less (<=1000 is even better).
Always try to shoot within 10 or 15% of the bottom of the ships draft. (shooting under and relying on the magneto thing never works for me). Keep in mind, the lower you shoot, the more chance for a undershoot (and a complete miss if you are using the pistol detonator and not the magnetic) which means complete miss.
Aim toward the rear third more than the middle or front.