Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Not at all. TMA is not the sort of thing that should be automated, it's a thought-intensive process requiring intuition and judgment. It's ideally done by a human. TMA is something that doesn't need to be done constantly too, you do it when you have data and update occasionally.

Scanning the sonar is much more mechanical, aside from classification there isn't too much judgment, it's just about seeing the lines and marking them. In terms of TIW, it needs to be done constantly; even leaving the station for 5 seconds without having a TIW warnings can be fatal. Not so with TMA.
Molon,

I still can't understand why "objectively" having a TIW warning which CAN be disabled is a bad idea...

I'm not talking about changing parameters of modifing doctrines...just something ADDITIONAL that will modify the game as it is now only if the player wants it...

Probably you've intentionally "stretched" it that much, but by gaming experience (little experience, I admit) I don't see anything FATAL in realizing a TIW after 5 seconds it occurs. And honestly, we've got simulations out there where you don't even know a missile is shot at you and where missile cruising times are matters of seconds. An example above all is Falcon 4 Allied Force...

The purpose of disabling TIW warnings is that of making you more concentrated on sonar which is the station you are probably using more. Again, when playing alone, you may want to keep the TIW warnings on but while playing in multistation, you may want to give the buddy looking at the sonar a higher degree of responsability...
Me neither. That's why I agreed with you that it would be nice to have. I just think fixing the way the TIW works needs to be the priority. Currently the TIW is a minor cheat, so fixing it is a high priority. An option to remove the TIW is a minor feature addition that will be used only by a small number of players in a small number of situations, so it's a low priority. What's worse is that SCS often looks for excuses not to do things (their resources are rather limited, after all), so if the TIW removal option gets done first, they might drop fixing the TIW from their "to-do" list.

You don't play against air platforms or Akulas very much, do you? 5 seconds can make the difference between getting the boat turned around in time to use your decoys properly or getting sent on a one-way trip to crush depth. It's not a stretch at all.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote