View Single Post
Old 09-28-14, 09:21 PM   #61
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i understand the main points of your post V-I-C and it was very enlighting as i had the faulty sense that game engine is the real power behind the scene.
I guess you mixed that up with people who mod games or create slightly different games based on another game by doing extreme mods. That's comparable to the difference between freaks pimping a car or building a replica based on another car or a company designing a completely new car model from the scratch. (where you don't always reinvent the wheel and use some existing components)

To quote Unity Technologies:
Unity is a game development ecosystem: a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D and 2D content …but unfortunately it does not offer you any tools for really huge environments. Most of the tools are useful for level based games only where you can bake lights, use occlusion culling, static and dynamic batching etc. - I can use most of those tools of the engine for the boat's interior and for animations of characters only.

The scripting API is the most important "feature". But that does not offer any miracles. Creating a game is nothing else but a lot of very different steps of work, some are boring, some are extremely tricky or complicated, some are a wall of math, some are creative and fun - but at the end it is always work and 90% of it is writing code.

But Unity is powerful, beginners can do some amazing (but extremely limited) things without writing code, this way they attract new customers who try to make games with weird 3rd party tools like "PlayMaker". But you can't go that route for serious projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
the curvature of earth...sounds like 'heaven' to me.
Actually adding this is just a few lines of code. The hardest part of it is to remember to add it to everything that will be affected by it.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote