View Single Post
Old 07-23-21, 01:01 PM   #309
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15 Immersion killers

This is a Interesting thread . Finding ways to add immersion really improves our games.

Maybe a list of immersion killers would be helpful too. Developer's of new games could use a list like this because they seem to repeat them.

I can think of some immersion killers. AutoSaves that pop up at the wrong moment is one. Those of you who have been around awhile remember the red flashing targeting triangle in SH2/DC. You couldn't get rid of it. It was hardcoded and impossible to make transparent. Fortunately was not carried over into SH3.

Seems "UBoat" it heading for similar . I played the newest update last night for the first time and they still have a immersion killer large "Lock/unlock icon" below the target when you point your scope at it. It also looks like it may be hardcode. Can it be mod out? To their credit the devs have removed a lot of other target icons on the map after hearing complaints.

Then theres the WWI subsim, 1914:Shells Of Fury. I liked this unfinished sim. However by simply pointing your scope at a target , the default game displayed the enemy ID and ALL its targeting parameters. Target Icons and text pop up everywhere- its nuts. Zero challenge. Why bother playing a game like this. Point and press a button. ( Note: I was finally able to mod most of it out. )

This game also lacks a patrol save, What were the dev thinking? in a sub game? Really? a real immersion killer for anyone wanting play the campaign which actually very good. There's more in other sims but enough of my ranting.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote