View Single Post
Old 07-20-21, 04:41 AM   #25
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

^ That, and also almost tears.
I am not aggravated or anything that the Navy did not tell it back then, possible causes and explanations also being spoken of in the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
It's just click bait my friends ...
At the depth she sank she imploded the power was not available for sonar to ping.Let her rest in peace
Obviously it was not so. The material being discussed in the video by "Sub Brief" has only been declassified now in july 2021.
Thresher seems to have been hovering above crush depth for two days, with part of the crew being able to communicate, sending out those 37 pings before the battery probably failed, later banging on the hull. Trying to surface or at least hold the boat without a working reactor. Until the batteries were empty, cold, and lack of oxygen sealed its fate. It seems it was without propulsion, slowly circling deeper below crush depth until it imploded after more than 48 hours. This is an absolutely gruesome situation. And nothing could be done to save boat or crew. Not that much could be done today in such a situation.

And this is the point: There should be learned something of what happened, "letting something rest in peace" maybe ok for the diseased crew (though i doubt they would see things that way), but it is absolutely necessary to analyse what happened, to improve rescue actions in the future.

In case of the Thresher and a similar situation today, there still would be no chance to rescue, because such a scenario has never been thought of. I doubt they would be even able to get an exact position and guide a DSRV to a hovering boat, when you cannot even communicate without going to PD or surface.

DSRV vehicles somehow always manage to come too late for whatever reason, communication cut, intel security/secrecy reasons, or sheer distance and time to get to the position of rescue needed.
Which can be called negligence, active cover up or deception, which is too often convenient to divert from deficits, and evading and getting rid of witnesses.
When the DSRV manages to come near a docking may be impossible because the sub is not lying on even keel or rolled a bit to either side, the angle of the emergency escape hatch making the docking impossible.

And there is still not much that you can do with the current state of emergency rescue facilities. There are much too few DSRVs, if you need days to reach a submarine in trouble this is only a pretense of being able to help.
The emergency rescue "program" for military submarines is lacking so much that it is virtually inexistent. When your sub gets in trouble and you cannot fix it as a crew, you are toast. Then, and now.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-20-21 at 09:40 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote