Thread: WinSPMBT
View Single Post
Old 08-02-13, 04:49 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hexfield CoSims, Tabletops - those were the glory days. My favourite in the mid-80s to early-90s were GDW's Third World War series modules 1 (Germany) and 3 (Scanmdinavia), 3 (Balkans, Aegean) rarely, 4 (Gulf) just once or twice, Victory Games' Aegean Strike and Gulf Strike, Ambush! series, 2nd Fleet and 6th Fleet; and Avalon Hills' Flight Leader.

I realyl would wish for a Flight Leader PC conversio9n, that was a very good balance between simulated realism, and accessability and fun. If I would be able to code and would do a cosim game, this would be it.

I still have them all. A review of mine about the superb soloüploayer design "Tokyo Express" can be found ion the revie section of subsim. One of the rare games that were designed and optimsied for single player, and then got added rules and options for two players. Usually it was the other way around (except Ambush!, which was solo player exclusively).

I have been SPMBT fan since many years, but now have grown tired of the drastic coluur palette, really. The game is so old now, it needs and deserve a dramatic visual overhaul. And I am really not one of those who fancy eyecandy over gameplay, usually. Some game mechanisms also should be tweaked, especially regarding many things related to infantry. Good game, but now hopelessly aged.

Heck, even SBP-PE gets visually lifted now! That really says something.

Good hexfield cosims for PC today: War in the East (moster game, beware), The Operational Art of War III, Modern campaigns: Danube 85. Vector based instead of hexfield: Conquest of the Aegean (I know there is a next title in the series focussing on the Bulge battle).

If you do not kn ow it: Armoured Brigade. Its in development, and free. Plays quite well, if you do not have SBP-PE's map-play available.

LINK: http://www.armoredbrigade.com/news.html

Last edited by Skybird; 08-02-13 at 05:02 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote