View Single Post
Old 07-01-09, 01:45 PM   #18
alexsmith
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
Whether you're on a the same or the opposite course, if the enemy is in order Ship A then Ship B and you're alongside Ship A, you should fire your torps at Ship B. However, not all your guns may bear on Ship B, but all will bear on Ship A.
I will surely attempt that advice, thank you! But... I usually not attack ships in line - very rare...

Quote:
The ship calculates a PREDICTED impact point, which is based on both your ship and the target continuing on the same courses and speeds, and the torpedoes running straight. Torpedoes don't always run straight, and 1 or both ships may turn (the target almost always will at least try to dodge). Thus, you don't always hit.
I understand why I miss - I just cant' understand why my DDs fire at far target instead to fire at closest - as I just told them

Quote:
It's pretty easy to figure where the predicted impact point is. Just draw an imaginary line straight ahead from the target and another out from your ship to cross the 1st line. Then mentally adjust the crossing point forward and backwards along the target's line until the line from your ship to the crossing point is about twice as long as from the target to the crossing point. This isn't exactly right, but it's close enough to work reliably.
I will probably need a calculator and apply a ruler at my monitor at least
What you say is to complex for me As I suppose there is not a great task to compute a targeting point (a point at which torpedos should be targeted):

where:
d1 - distance between DD and target
d2 - distance which target should pass for the time before impact
s1 - speed of target
s2 - speed of torpedo
(if DD is not on traverse of target it's a bit different but also not too complex)

As you can see for example - if d1=300m and target speed is about 10 knots - the distance from DD to target point should be ( d2^2+d1^2 ) ^ 0.5 ~ 350m

Maybe I'm not a mathematician - but I see no difficulties to fire in that situation and torpedo to hit - althouth target won't change it's course which is not quite important in such situation... I don't understand what is so impossible here for DD to carry out my order
alexsmith is offline   Reply With Quote