View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 04:40 AM   #15
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Someone recorded that 1MC announcement that Modly made aboard the Roosevelt. I call it "the WTF vid" because that was what a crewmember said, loudly, about 3/4ths of the way in. Well, he actually said the longer Navy version of "WTF", but you get the idea.

I doubt the Navy can back-track the decision to remove Mr. Crozier at this point. The one bright spot is that Mr. Crozier won't have to worry about buying a beer for a long, long time.
Being that you served in the U.S Navy, I think you have a unique insight into the events transpiring right now and I'm happy you put your " two cents worth " in. Considering the send off Capt Crozier received, I think we are in the majority of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
frankly the whole contretemps is ridiculous and gives greater aid and comfort to any of our enemies foreign and domestic, either of which is bad at this time of prewar buildup for suzerainity of the seas, especially with regard to China and N. Korea. Captain Crozier did violate the chain of command in a fashion contrary to his training and status as a carrier captain, so some punitive remuneration is required. However the mitigation is also extant, namely that the lives of the sailors, still kids with concerned moms, is paramount. That the captain and over 100 are afflicted with corona in time of peace speaks for itself. Basically it is a 49-51 % solution problem. The well meaning captain needs a slap and the other 11? carrier captains will not err as a result of his minor misjudgement in pursuit of the greater goal-thus he has served to lead by mis-example which is often as effective as leading by example. The proper response is to issue a lesser Navy 'letter of admonishment' which may be put into Capt Crozier's file as opposed to a Navy 'letter of reprimand' which is more severe, and usually career ending. I cannot imagine some other officer really wanting to replace the ill captain aboard a quarantined vessel of major influnce on the high seas. Everyone, from new Sec.of Navy McPherson down, needs to stand-in-place and wait out the quarantine at Guam and pray no other Navy vessel is similarly afflicted. The captain, if he recovers, should be restored to command.

I agree with you on this.

Another point I would like to add. Most here who have either served in uniform or indeed, in everyday life have had Co's or bosses. I think most people here have seen ineffective leadership in their lives and wondered to themselves how someone like them could ever attain a leadership position. There are many who couldn't command a one man raft on a sunny, calm day, let alone an Aircraft Carrier.

The burden of command and the safety of his crew was at stake. Capt Crozier has done it all from flying helicopters to F-18 hornets to being a squadron CO. Capt. Crozier was faced with a pandemic and threat to his ship that he understood and took seriously and that no other commander in past times has ever faced. To be sure, other Commanders and Captains are facing it now. Capt. Crozier made a command decision and stood by it. To be sure, there are a great number of mitigating circumstances.

It seems lost on people like Modly and others like him that The " rank and file " members of the military, in this case, the Navy, not only respect Crozier for his rank but also as a man and leader that they would follow anywhere because of his Intelligence, leadership abilities and integrity. How much is that worth ? In my opinion, that's everything.

In 2004, Crozier reported to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), another F/A-18 Hornet unit known as the Mighty Shrikes, as a department head, and was again deployed with Nimitz in 2005. In 2006, Crozier was assigned to VFA-125, the "Rough Raiders," and served as an instructor and Fleet Replacement Squadron Operations Officer. The following year, he reported in 2007 to the Naval War College, where he earned a Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

Quote: In 2004, Crozier reported to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), another F/A-18 Hornet unit known as the Mighty Shrikes, as a department head, and was again deployed with Nimitz in 2005. In 2006, Crozier was assigned to VFA-125, the "Rough Raiders," and served as an instructor and Fleet Replacement Squadron Operations Officer. The following year, he reported in 2007 to the Naval War College, where he earned a Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

Crozier was the commanding officer (CO) of VFA-94, based at Naval Station Lemoore in California. As squadron CO, he made multiple deployments for U.S. Third, Fifth, and Seventh Fleet operations, numerous exercises and Operations Southern Watch and OIF.[8] He led his squadron on expeditionary deployments with Marine Aircraft Group 12 based out of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, to support Pacific operations and the Global War on Terror. His squadron CO tour ended in August 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Crozier

In Short, Capt. Crozier is highly educated and has done it all.

Another point is I'm not convinced that the Wuhan lab isn't the site of a biological / chemical weapons development and testing program and that the Corona Virus isn't an experiment gone wrong, or maybe not. Considering Corona Virus is very much an outgrowth of SARS and MERS, is this a natural progression or was this a manipulation of this disease created in a lab ? I believe it is.

Could this be a test of the U.S military China is confronting and it's command and control structures ? If that's the case, then Modly completely missed the big picture and showed we will turn on our own commanders. This sets a dangerous precedent for all commanders in every field of operations. To use a phrase that's all the rage: " Modly is too stupid and naive to continue as acting SecNav."

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-09-20 at 05:23 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote