Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Category:
Most Helpful Member of the Year

Name of the nominee:
MaMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
...After more than a year i got back to SH5 last week and i found for the first time the problem discussed in this thread [the tonnage bar bug, Ed.]...

After some investigation i found the cause of the problem... not the solution as i'm not a programmer but i think that's a little step worth mentioning. Beside this, the problem is not related to any MOD at all, my tests were done with the vanilla game, starting from the tutorial and from saved game campaigns... :

the campaign updates are managed by an application (called OSI) installed in the UPlay folder. This application starts with the main game and everytime a game is started from the beginning or loaded from a saved game it loads some commands dedicated to the update of the campaign and the tonnage bar as well... it seems not dependent from UPlay being online or offline nor from savegames being synchronized or not with UPlay main server (my thoughts are that Ubisoft moved those files in the UPlay folder and started using this application since the SH5 server isn't working anymore. In the previous versions of UPlay they weren't available...i'm not sure of this however).

Using the Debug viewer (found in a MOD, the UI mod from TDW if i'm not mistaken) i scanned OSI actions and after a lot of trials i found the difference between the game operating regularly and when it start bugged. It's all related to these strings :

[...]

in fact, by looking at those strings in the debug viewer running, it's possible to understand immediately if the game is running fine or not, if not you just need to reload the game or to restart it (if it was the beginning of a campaign game) until those strings are displayed on the viewer (beware that more often the game starts bugged than not... ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
So, i'm a little excited ... but... despite not being completely sure of that... at the moment it seems i've found a solution to the problem !!!!

Further testing needed but so far i made a 100% success rate over 5 trials... still testing but since i have no time during the next week to continue my tests i wish to share this with everyone, so if someone can try this procedure in the meantime and check if it works it would be of great help !!

So, here we go ! :

First of all, an information on the test made. Tried with the vanilla game with no MODS installed (version 1.20), therefore if someone could test it with configured MODS or something else enabled he would be more than welcome !

Firstly i recommend to have the DBGViewer enabled (it can be found in the TDW applications directory of TDW UI MOD) and make sure to have the OSI.exe file in the UPlay folder set to run with administrator rights.

Start the game and when it finishes loading go to desktop (Alt+TAB). Start the Windows Task Manager and go to the "process" list. You should have the OSI application in the list running.

Go to the OSI process and click with the RMB, select "priority" and click on "real time". The PC will tell you that it is not possible but it will set the priority to "high".

Go back to the game and start a new game or load an existing one. After the loading is completed wait 10 or 20 seconds then pause the game and with Alt+TAB go to the DBG viewer. Check if all the elements needed for the campagin updates are loaded (check my first post to see which ones are needed for the game to run correctly) and continue playing.

Check if everything is working correctly ! So far my games worked fine, with all objectives updated and the tonnage bar filling correctly...

As stated at the start of my post : i cannot confirm if it could be a solution to the problem since i made only few tests but i want to share this with all of you interested as to have some feedback ! It could be a hint for the right direction to follow for my future testing, thanks in advance for every possible incoming information !

Good luck and fingers crossed !
Reason for the nomination:
I nominate MaMa for tracking down a long-standing bug which originated from a SH5-copy-protection process not being initialized properly, causing player's achievements not to be recorded properly and campaign not to progress at all. Not only he found the culprit of the problem, when Ubisoft had demonstrated no interest into dealing with it and anyone else had given up any hope to see the bug fixed; what matters most, he also was obstinate enough to find an easy-to-apply and effective method for solving the issue. This method is currently being tested and, so far, it has demonstrated 100% effective.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote