View Single Post
Old 02-07-23, 06:32 PM   #3
bracer
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Interesting question!
And I belive you answered it yourself with the statement that naval vessels usually need alot more crew than the other vehicles that are usually simulated.

Since I am developing a battleship simulator myself, I have struggled alot with what details to simulate.
All the jobs are extremely specialized and any switch flipping and knob turning was probably a quite simple task that didn't require any real thought. Usually you turn your knob until it pointed at a marker.
For example the main guns, the aimers would simple turn their knob until it pointed at the value that was received from the fire control station.

The crew in the fire control station, simply put in values recieved from various spotters or range finding instruments.
So probably not very interesting no matter how hardcore of a simmer you are.
Which leads to compromises, maybe simplyfing tasks and combining them into an experience where you control multiple aspects with better overview.

I for example decided to combine rangefinding, radar, the fire control computer as well as a small switch board for the guns into one interface.

So the simulation would be simpler and incorporate different jobs.
Plenty of switches, but simplified

My WIP Battleship simulator, Battleship Command: Scharnhorst
Want to support the project on Patreon? Here's the link!
bracer is offline   Reply With Quote