View Single Post
Old 02-07-23, 06:04 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

There used to be a game a while ago that was a simulation of the Mercury space craft. It was truly a 1:1 switch simulator.

It was exceedingly boring to play. Because it was a switch for switch simulation, you would spend about 1-2 hours (real time) listening to Capcom and hitting switches when directed. I am a space nut and especially about the Mercury missions but it was unplayable because of the detail. Flying an early space craft was not fun nor exciting -- two aspects that are key to a game.

In any simulator, there is a delicate balance between realistic actions and enjoyment. For a game to be successful it has to be enjoyable to play. Few people want to play a game that is filled with the boring tasks.

Submarine games are no different. For enjoyment, the exciting aspects are simulated -- targeting, maneuvering, tracking. Simulating all the aspects of trim control or torpedo maintenance, are usually not included because they are not exciting.

Personally, I would love a realistic simulator of the hydrophone on WWII submarine, but that's me. Most air breathing humans would find that amount of realism not so enjoyable.

Real life, including combat life, is a lot of boring tedious tasks with some periods of excitement/fear.

So what is a developer gonna do. Their objective is not making as realistic a simulator as possible but making a product that delivers profit.

I wish I was rich enough to hire developers to make a submarine game that *I* like with no interest in profits or selling it to the gaming community.

But that ain't gonna happen.