View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 04:01 AM   #7
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

I appreciate the history lesson, I assure you. However, what you describe is known to me and not the issue I am describing.

The problem is that the gun simply fires off of the axis every time. I can still hit the target as accurately as I want simply by moving the center of the zoomed view over by the amount the gun has been offset. The only time the offset changes is when zooming in or out. Therefore, if I stay in the zoomed view, I can hit a target with all the accuracy I want so long as I remember which notch of the horizontal aiming lines represents the actual position of the gun. This is not dependent on distance except that the higher zoom level does not always have enough view to even cover the actual firing position of the gun.

Further, I have noticed this to be up to 30 degrees (estimated by eye) from the center of the zoom view to the actual firing direction of the gun (at a range of 4-5km that can be as much as 800 meters it seems). This is so bad that if I fire a shell from the gun without zooming and then immediately zoom in, I cannot see the target at all!

The amount of offset seems to change each time the gun is manned or the zoom is changed. It also appears to change as the gun is rotated (which I hold as the most likely source of the issue to begin with), resulting in a greater offset the closer to 90 degrees from the bow/stern line.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote