View Single Post
Old 10-02-18, 03:54 PM   #3
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Good find. However, handing out own adresses for such tests bears a minimal risk in itself.

I tested some older, non-vital email adresses, and got a security breach for one from 2014, by Malwarebytes. Not sure how to interpret that.

Do I interpret it correctly that this means that somebody hacked Malwarebytes back then and stole email adresses from their database with customers?

Regarding the 'minimal risk', that thought did cross ,y mind at first; Firefox ststes they are not keeping a record of the input addresses, its just 'input-check-wipe' with no retention; as you say, there is a risk, but, at least in my case, I'm not too very concerned about Firefox being duplicitous about something that, if not true, would bite them back big time...

As far as the Malwarebytes situation, a quick Google check turned up this from November, 2014:

Malware Bites Malwarebytes: Company Forums Hacked --

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/malware...ews-19955.html

I'm going to take an educated guess that if you have changed your email account(s) password(s) since 2014, then you should be OK, but it never hurts to take an extra step and maybe change the PW again. I change mine on my email accounts often as a matter of course...

<O>