View Single Post
Old 05-10-14, 01:41 PM   #4599
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default part 4.

June 27, 1942, 07:21hrs, Grid: CH81, heading east.
Came upon a small British merchantman, worth about 2400 tons. Fully loaded, on his way west, likely into Gibraltar. All conditions conducive to surface attack, but decided not to overplay my hand, and dove to periscope depth.
Textbook run out. Perfect shot, 1 hit, 1 kill.
My torpedo weapons instructor would have been proud...
June 27, 15:18hrs, Grid: CH58, heading east.
Came upon a lone, British C2 cargo vessel. 6446 tons.
Clear skies and seas, again, perfect weather for surface action, but decided to dive.
Took them out with a hit from a T1 torp, fired from tube 2.
We now have 3 eels left on board. A T2 wakeless loaded in tube 1, a TIV seeker in tube 5, and a T1 spare for tube 5.
Damaged, the C2 cargo ship does not sink right away, and after about five minutes of observing the target from 2 km off, I give the order to surface, and finish them with the deck gun.
The enemy ship spotted us when we broke the surface, and did what they could to lay in a ramming course, but with hardly any forward motion, it didn't amount to much. Our deck gun crew is pretty good at their job, and before long, the 6400 tonner is standing on its stern, flipping us off like a giant middle finger, as it slides down under the waves.
June 28, 03:24 hrs. Grid: CH91. Early morning but with no light on the horizon yet, and with the weather and waves perfectly calm again today, I put the radar set on watch. Pretty soon the operator has some encouraging news. Confirmed by the bridge crew. Found another lone merchantman sailing along, not a care in the world. All that changed a few minutes later, after the last eel from tube 1, introduced itself...
With fire and smoke now raising up into the sky, providing some kind of light, I then order the gun crew to finish this one as well. About 10 HE rounds it takes, and after the seas are quiet again, I head below to contact BdU.
Date: June 28, 1942.
Map reference, grid CH91
Time, 03:45
To: BdU
RE: Patrol report.
Sunk 7 merchant, 3 warship and shot down 2 fighter-bombers. Total patrol tonnage, 27,556.
Reply: "Return to base for some R&R, U-99, you've earned it".
At the end of 16 patrols, U-99, under my command, has put down 93 cargo ships, 29 warships, and shot down 3 aircraft. Not bad for the underdogs...

Last edited by UKönig; 09-12-15 at 11:19 AM.
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote