View Single Post
Old 11-24-19, 05:41 PM   #45
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Some interesting points raised, when it comes to France R&D my knowledge is limited i specialize in logistics and supply.

I can see the SSK and SSN were built in parallel a lot of the stuff that goes into all the European projects gets moved around by people like me, its a massive cycle and its the same for UK projects, for example the steel that went into the QE mainly came from Germany, it was formed in the UK hence the capability to claim UK steel.

If the SSN and SSK are run parallel then yes i can see that being a merit to the budget, if it is as simple as switching a reactor for diesel engines then yeah i see that.
It's not exactly a switch, except maybe for the Barracuda Shortfin sold to Australia, which is extremely close to the Suffren, but from what I understand from the Suffren's propulsion system, SSK tech is quite influential in it.

Quote:
The only french SSBN ive been on is in Cherbourg the Le Redoubtable i have not been on the current ones.
Téméraire was surprisingly confortable in the accomodations I saw, and I appreciated visiting it after seeing Wolf's Call, looking at what was correct and what wasn't. Let's just say that Wolf's Call was as incorrect on the SSBN's CIC as it was correct on the SSN's CIC. I mean, the production crew got to board a Rubis, take pictures inside the CIC and after security filtered which ones they could keep, they litterally rebuilt a 1:1 mock-up of the Rubis' CIC for shooting the scenes, but then, you probably guessed it, having been onboard a Rubis. The Triomphant's CIC is quite different from the one shown in the movie, though some other scenes inside it are closer to reality.
Quote:
I have no idea about the French constitution or laws tbh most countries laws are mind ####s including the UK
I started studying our legal system a bit last year, and I found it fascinating to compare how the people relate to law and government in various countries. It tells a lot about the national mindsets.
Quote:
I have my apprehensions about TASM as well but right now thats about the best option for long range AShM problem being is as you pointed out its subsonic and has a lot of idiosyncrasies it can easily be intercepted by an opponent so is it any good? like harpoon i think their day has long gone.
Yeah, TASM is cheap and simple, so it does allow a submarine to have a shipkilling capability on cooperative targets at long ranges, which is good, I'll admit. I just wish we went through with the ANF back in the Nineties, a conventional anti-ship variant of the 500 km - Mach 3 ASMP-A. Legend says that the US pressured us a bit to cancel the program, not wanting to see that kind of missile being sold to tinpot dictators of all kind, and offered to sell us the three Hawkeye we have for CdG as a carrot for that.

ASMP-A is pretty damn expensive, but if we could get an AShM variant out of it, perhaps with reduced performance compared to its nuclear brother, it might make for a superb shipkiller. But then, we get in the "what if" field. *goes back to his voxel SSBN in From The Depths to get his dose of "what if"*

Quote:
Think i covered all your points
Yep! Thanks!
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote