View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 02:09 PM   #2094
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The problem with write-caching isn't so much from a power outage, but my thinking wonders about when the game "hiccups" (one of those 'technical' terms), or shells-out to Windows - whether accidental or on purpose - and then the game "gets lost" when it returns to Windows. Then the cache could be out of sync with the game. I do not know if this happens or not. It would be interesting to experiment in this regard, though that would be time-intensive, and most likely frustrating. Maybe someone knows more about the subject of disk caching as it relates to an old WinXP DirectX v9 game...

<snip>

After thinking about this overnight, I decided to disable the Write Caching for the drives. Not because of the SH4 game per se, but because occasionally when a game locks up you can be forced to power down if nothing else allows you to get back to the desktop for a proper shutdown. So far with it disabled, I have not really noticed any appreciable decrease in performance including the "whopping" 13 seconds it takes to load SH4 with FOTRSU. Better safe than sorry.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote