View Single Post
Old 09-04-09, 05:44 PM   #88
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
First the Atlantic was crawling with hundreds of pretty identical cookie-cutter Liberty boats. Once you learned the RPM/speed curve for one you had the keys to the city. Also the open nature of American and British societies, where information valuable to enemy combatants easily enters public knowledge, made information on our merchant shipping much more accessible than the relatively closed society of Japan.
Cheers, good observation

As far as I have seen, boy have you guys been able to capitalize on any new idea that someone has pointed out! The cold war american sonars were simply the best, despite germans having lead the way to that rpm count, and I always like to remember the memorable sentence from Jules Verne in his novel "A Journey to the Moon", where he said "What an american can imagine, another one can do it"

In any case, I wanted also to pay another tribute to the John P. Cromwell attack method (45º AOB shots) with something I recently readed:

The very same U-Boot Commander's Handbook says:

Quote:
95.) When attacking ships with low and medium speeds, at close range, it ballistically advantageous to fire at an angle of the target of 90, as errors estimating the position will in this case have the least effect, besides which the speed of the enemy can be most accurately gauged in this position. If the range is longer (over 1,000 m), and the target is traveling at a high rate of speed, an attempt should be made to launch the torpedo at a smaller angle, say, 60.
Since the angle the book is referring to is the opposite to the track angle, it is in fact recommending a 40º attack , i.e. the John P. Cromwell one!

Amazing