View Single Post
Old 07-21-21, 08:48 AM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal
I know, I know. I'm telling you, I live in an area like that. These kind of weather condition are usually forecast days before they occur. Sometimes the meteorologists don't get it precisely right but in general, they give ample warning. Yes, we can see when a hurricane forms, how it strengthens, and where it is likely to go. They can also detect fronts, depressions, and rainfall amounts. Do you have any records of the forecast in the days leading up to these rains? I mean, if one went to bed after the weatherman said "all sunny in the region tomorrow" and woke up to a flood, yeah, I guess that would be a problem. But that's not what happened.
This is ironically an old problem for Germany They never do get the weather quite right!
Quote:
Had the mission not gone on June 6, the next window would have been a full two weeks later, when tides and moonlight were right. On that day two weeks later, a completely un-forecast gale would have caused the invasion to fail.
Ross said that had the invasion failed, the secrecy about when and where the Allies would land would be lost, victory in Europe would have been delayed for a year, and the Soviet Union might have taken control of the continent.
Years later, during their ride to the Capitol for his inauguration, President-elect John F. Kennedy asked President Eisenhower why the Normandy invasion had been so successful.
Ike's answer: "Because we had better meteorologists than the Germans!"
< Eisenhower's chief meteorologist, Group Capt. James Martin Stagg, made one of the most important weather forecasts of all time. Defying his colleagues, he advised Ike to postpone the invasion of Normandy by one day from June 5, 1944, to June 6, because of uncertain weather conditions. Believing his own meteorologists, Rommel, who had previously dubbed the impending Normandy invasion of his Western Wall: 'The Longest Day' , had gone home to celebrate his wife's birthday...https://www.usatoday.com/story/weath...ecast/9914207/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote