View Single Post
Old 01-06-23, 08:48 AM   #8
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

It's all a bit complicated in that I run everything using Wine on a Linux box. However i think the following is fairly generic for SH3...

My widescreen 1366x768 GUI uses a hacked d3d9.dll file that sits in the same directory as the main SH3.exe file. This performs some magic to get the widescreen working. Associated with this in the same directory is a d3d9.ini text file which tells the hacked d3d9.dll what resolution to use. Ths key lines in my d3d9.ini file are:

[ENGINE]
DisplayWidth=1366
DisplayHeight=768
Refreshrate=false

The DisplayHeight and DisplayWidth must match whatever the selected SH3 GUI wants. It will probably still run if these are wrong but will look strange. You can set Refreshrate to, say, 60 if you want but it makes it less likely it will match the display capabilities.

There are also display settings in [SH3 directory]\data\Cfg\Main.cfg

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1366 x 768
DynamicShadows=Yes
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
ParticleDensity=100
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

I think these have to match as well, but not sure.

directX already has it's own list of available display modes based on the computer hardware (windows probably tells you this somewhere) and one of these has to match the settings in d3d9.ini or it throws the error seen in the original post.

So it all depends on the exact widegui mod, the settings in d3d9.ini (and maybe the settings in Main.cfg) and the list of modes supported by the display as understood by directX. In addition the game can run windowed or in full screen mode using the in-game menu. There's a pretty large list of things to get right there, so it can be an almighty pain.

Now imagine factoring in using wine and linux and you can understand why i don't touch the installation any more!

Last edited by Hooston; 09-24-23 at 02:07 AM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote