View Single Post
Old 08-20-18, 08:25 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The lesson is being taught by not buying immediately on release day, but now, two years later. Where they might not have had a great welcome back then, they now might get it - and maybe see the connection between quality (or lack of), and applaus (or lack of).

I know this kind of happening from Raceroom, one of the two racing sims I am heavily engaged with. When it was released in I think 2013, it must have been a mess, and the title earned a very negative reputation. I did not come to it before early 2015. The producer company SimBin went bancrupt. A few former employees formed a new studio, Sector3, got a financier on board (KS Suspensions), picked up the remains of the simulation and from mid-2015 on started to frequently release substantial, fantastic repair updates and upgrades. It was a long and steep uphill battle for them to make the early bad reputation forgotten by most player, at least forgiven, but they are successful, and the title today is imo one of the two or three best racing simulation titles on the market, being the benchmark in business regarding several categories by which to compare titles . Their voyage goes on and on. And I say: deservedly so.

To expel a failing company forever might be a good idea if it has a repuation to play foul, but if it is no repeated offender and lives long enough to survive the early mistakes, then delivers good quality, it should be given a second chance if players still are interested (and there is the problem: if you spoil the start, you fight an uphill battle afterwards). Else they do not just boycot the company, but also miss a game that meanwhile might have become a good game indeed.

I agree that people should not fall for advertising and early buying, myself I have two examples of very good Early Access programs at Steam on mind (Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa), which worked flawlessly well, were completed in a reasonable timeframe, had a clear timetable and plan, and both were kept month for month, no matter what. Superb execution. But there also was one disastrous experience, Wreckfest, which took several years to complete, over four years it were, I think. It now is a good, solid game, yes - but I would be cautious to ever buy into Early Acess software by them again.