View Single Post
Old 04-03-20, 01:58 PM   #7
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

As I recall, without deep digging, historically accurate optic magnification for both the attack scope and UZO was 1.5x and 6x.

Everyone needs to bear in mind that when GWX 3.0 was under development, the vast majority of users were still using full screen mode as opposed to widescreen, and the native resolution of SH3 was 1024x768.

Widescreen mods were still in their infancy and full of much weirdness.

We set the outer camera zoom level to be 10x to account for the lower game resolution being not as acute as the human Mk.1 eyeball.

Other notes: (I don't think many players consider, or are aware of...)

Generally speaking, during periscope depth-level torpedo attacks, the captain placed himself in the conning tower to access the attack periscope... which is not accessible from the control room. It is the observation periscope that is accessible from the control room.

The observation periscope's main function is just that.... to observe. It is my understanding that it had (has) a wider angle view both horizontally and vertically. Before surfacing it would be used for a quick visual check for surface and/or air threats.

At any rate, with the higher resolutions available these days, 1.5x and 6x would indeed be the way to go.... if those resolutions are indeed what the player is using. ie: ARB, Ahnenerbe GUI's.

In short, we accounted for a limitation of the game which appears to be much less of an issue than it was 10-15 years ago.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote