Old 01-30-16, 11:02 AM   #41
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello gap,

if I am right, one of your questions remained unanswered.

I think, SH3 supports ambient occlusion OR normal/bump maps. There are some models with either ambient occlusion or normal channels but I am not aware of any with both ambient occlusion AND nomal maps. Some have ambinet occlusion and bump maps.

My suggestion, do only an ambient occlusion map. It works reasonably well.

Cheers
Thank you very much for sheding some light on the topic, the_frog. All the models I worked on so far were for SH5, where the only limit is the extended data allowed by the granny file used as template for importing the new models.

As far as a GR2 file is in the correct format for accepting AO and/or normal maps, and a material with those maps is binded to a mesh subset, SH5's GFX engine will use them both automatically with no need of any extra controllers. Anyway I think there is a workaround to this SHIII limitation: I can create a not overlapping UV map for the diffuse channel, bake an AO map on it, and blend diffuse and ambient occlusion textures in one file; this way I will still be able to assign a normal map. I already used this method for SH5, mostly for small objects, when I didn't want to set secondary UV coordinates for the AO map, or when the GR2 file I was working on didn't support them. The only downside to this method, is that the diffuse texture needs to be bigger than usual, or the details painted on it will look blurry.

Talki
gap is offline   Reply With Quote