View Single Post
Old 04-11-11, 03:07 PM   #2
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

You bring up some valid points, but keep in mind that this is only a prototype system, and some features may be (as in, almost certainly are) exaggerated. With that said though...

1) First, the thing has 14 feet of hull above the water. It's going to take more than 5ft swells to upset it. I'd say around 10ft max. And that wouldn't be too much of a problem as you don't get swells above 10ft too often without there being a storm involved, which would kind of preclude the operation of surface vessels for tracking anyway, no? With that said, I also still don't see what the problem is with having GPS and radio equipment mounted on the hull itself. I'd much rather have it there than on a towed platform which may break loose...

2) Not familiar with "BearTrap," sorry.

3) I'd really like to hear how you'd go about "poking holes" in it as a sub captain. And doing so as a supporting surface ship would likely be quite difficult too. That's kind of the point behind the "Maximum Effort" mission.

Of course, this is all just speculation anyway based on what they show us in the game. The final product may be radically different and may have taken these points into account. I'm particularly interested in the propulsion systems, namely how they managed to pack all that equipment in the lower hull yet still have room for a bunch of sensors (and fuel), but that's just the geek in me.

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote