View Single Post
Old 01-21-08, 02:54 PM   #2
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

It's been awhile since I've played any of these missions. But if I'm not mistaken, I had to travel toward the entrance of the harbor at a shallow depth where the surface of the water is noisier and I could hide my presence alot easier in the background noise. Bottom line, this Akula has a bad attitude, so it's probably best to take a course parallel to the suspected course of the Akula leaving the Harbor and attempt to track him that way. When he leaves the harbor he is on the surface and slow. And the surface is rough conditions. Therefore his noise is harder to detect from a distance. Do not use active sonar, as you've just given him a bearing to target his weapons at you. Passive sonar is your best bet. Since he is on the surface, you might even try to visually detect with the periscope. And if you're within 2.5 Nm, high frequency sonar will work for detection. This is a tough mission, and requires work and patience. Caution is advised. Your first detection may occur as the Akula approaches deeper water. That's how it worked for me, if I remember it correctly.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote