View Single Post
Old 02-03-10, 11:17 AM   #22
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynoir View Post
On the new Win7 machine I built last year, I have two RAID-0ed Intel SSDs as my OS drive (along with important programs (games)), and you can pry them from my cold dead fingers!

The machine is very fast to boot up, nearly instantly drops to the desktop, and I can immediately click all of the programs in the taskbar and they all quickly open up.

SSD drives are probably the best general performance upgrade you can make for your PC... They make everything snappy!
The SSD technology is just awesome and price points are coming down. Although the high quality ones are still a bit expensive when compared to a WD Raptor. I have built two SSD systems for friends as HTPC and they boot to the desktop at frightening speed. The SSD is a huge leap for the PC as it brings it to an almost instant on device.

As for dual core chips, I started on that road in '05 with AMD and still run an old dog X2 4800 on the 939 socket. The chip is good but the old ASUS Mobo is slowly dying. Its best to rebuild on a 2-3 year cycle these days and recoup your money by selling the parts on Ebay for on average 1/2 price. Wait to long and you just about have to give it away but at least its still being used and not going into a land fill or worse.

I do run a new Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.83 Ghz on my HTPC and I find it to be very capable and runs anything I need including Blu-Ray very nicely. There is plenty of CPU power available now and with multiple cores its up to the developers to write code that takes advantage of the processing power.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote