View Single Post
Old 10-29-08, 05:09 PM   #23
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

"As usual you were several steps ahead"

maybe for the fleet boat crowd.. but for us grizzled u-boat kaleun these things are nothing new ;P

for SH3 i didn't need a tool because the length of the ship is IN the rec manual. all that is needed is a calculator and some basic easy to remember math. why its absent from SH4 i dunno. thats why i made the tool, because i never had the length of the ship handy.

acutally there was a way to get accurate speed of ships in SH3 by just listening to the enemy's screws and counting the revolutions per minute. there was a chart made that gave you the speed. all one had to do was count the "major" 3rd or 4th beats of the screw for 1 minute and look at the chart. if pressed for time you could count for 30 or 15 seconds and multiply it to get the 'per minute' value.

if it was a radio'd contact that was said to be moving 'slow'.. i'd pretty much know which ship it was just by noting its rpm and looking at the chart (without ever actually seeing it).

ofcourse the supermods killed this by adding their own hydrophone sounds (which is easily undone).
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote