Old 08-08-19, 10:13 PM   #4
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
Was the CPU in the socket?
Some Ryzen motherboards need a bios update to boot newer Ryzen chips.
Most newer motherboards should have it, but this one may have slipped through the cracks.
Or it's one of the first boards, and was built before the bios update was released.

You might check the revision # on the board, and search the net for which bios version it has.

NOTE: Some boards were made to be able to boot to update firmware -WITHOUT- a CPU.
You might check if ASRock is one that can do this, I don't remember all of the boards that could.

Hopefully it's not DOA.

Barracuda

Confirm the CPU was in the socket. I know the bios version is P1.50 which is what came with the motherboard. Only problem is it's not starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Is there any of the ol the old parts still being used? Is it a new mobo?
If it's the old mobo then try removing all the cards and use the old ones to see if it runs. If it is a new mobo the I would say an update is not the correct term!!
Is the power supply new or old?
If you have access to a multimeter I would check the voltages at the pins on the mobo, turn it upside down and check at the solder joints, this would at least check if power is getting to the mobo. Any burn smells?
The only old parts that are being used is really just the hard drives, although two out of the four I have are over 5+ years and the power supply is 11 years old but still going strong. Negative on any burning smells.

Here's a basic rundown of what I did when I tested the motherboard outside of the case. This was done with ONLY the CPU connected to the motherboard.

Step 1: Shut off power to the PSU and disconnect the power cord.
Step 2: Place the motherboard on a clean surface.
Step 3: Connect the 8 pin 12V cable into it's slot and is well seated.
Step 4: Connect the 24 pin power cable into it's slot.
Step 5: Connect the speaker to it's place on the motherboard in order to hear any bios beep codes.
Step 6: Reconnect the power cord to the PSU and turn it on.

When the PSU is turned on the led lights on the motherboard do come on and will turn off when it PSU is off. But when I press the power button on the motherboard nothing happens. Even if the PSU was under powered and the motherboard worked correctly I would have gotten the beep code telling me so.

Think about it this way, you get in your car and it's got full gas, oil, water and a fully charged battery you go to start it up and the darn thing won't start, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with but no matter what you do it just won't start... That's kind of the situation I'm in now except it's a computer not a car.