View Single Post
Old 02-02-22, 04:33 PM   #474
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

[QUOTE=EddieLyons;2791439]I have a question about the behaviour of submerged AI subs.

Do they surface and dive like the player has to?

I ask because I have been tracking a submerged contact for over 20 hours, and there's no sign of it surfacing.

I made a hydrophone contact less than a day out of Pearl, en route to Wake Island. This was after dark on 9 Dec 1941, so I closed to try to make an identification - it was a single contact. But, after getting within range I was unable to detect it visually, so I submerged and manoeuvred to get in its baffles. I managed to do that seemingly undetected, and have been tracking it ever since - submerged.

Overall, it appears to be behaving as you would expect a Japanese sub to do, generally trending NNE between Oahu and Kauai, hunting for targets. But, without being able to make a positive ID as long as it remains submerged, I'm stuck, with my battery running down and CO2 building up. Do battery depletion and CO2 have any bearing on AI subs? Do they even need to surface? Am I just wasting my time tracking such a target, since I can't determine whether it's friend or foe?

To clarify, I'm in TMO Bubblehead Update with RSRDC.[/QUOTE/]

No, the AI subs do not dive, surfce, or have to worry about battery power, oxygen etc.

Unfortunately, that is beyond capability of modders at this time. The submerged AI subs as well as surfaced AI subs will hit their last waypoint and "delete", which simulates diving. I've tracked a surfaced AI sub, been just about ready to fire and then it disappeared in front of me i.e. hit its last waypoint, it "submerged". Then hour or so later, ran into surface AI sub again, the sub respawned at a different location, to simulate sub surfacing after diving.

Attacking submerged AI subs is difficult, as it was difficult in WW II. In later war when have the "Cutie" homing torpedo, have somewhat of a chance. . PBY's in area will likely find the enemy sub at some point. I saw that recently outside of Midway in 1942, PBY depth charging submerged IJN sub, sunk it.

Best advice to you is to break off pursuit and head away toward your objective. AI subs can and will torpedo you. I was recently sunk by a AI sub for first time in campaign, on my first patrol out of Pearl Harbor in Dec 1941, prob 150 miles SW. Torpedo me on the surface at night. Possibly same sub you detected.

HEADS UP......

RSRD is NOT compatible with TMO Update BH . This will "break" the mod, including RSRD and eventually cause you major issues if has not already. Plus, it overwrites the new campaign in TMO, which is based on RSRD...has historical contacts, historic battles etc. With RSRD , you will lose most of roster of new ships with numerous ships, updates etc. RSRD is great mod, but it has not been updated in a rather long time, missing a lot of ships etc present in TMO Update. I believe I covered this in the README, if I did not, I apologize.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote