View Single Post
Old 05-28-11, 07:00 PM   #58
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Actually it is ONLY latitude degrees which are equal to 60 Nm. The size of a degree of longitude varies according the latitude at which it is located.
Yes, I realize that. What I meant is that neither the longitude or latitude are correct. If you still play the game check out the island of Borneo, it's much smaller. All the zones are too small. I guess someone just made a mistake with the numbers.

Quote:
The initial stage of studying the piece of software is very time-consuming-can take weeks just to get familiar with it.
Oh, I believe you. I tried to mod it years ago. After much effort, I had to throw in the towel. The only thing I was able to do was insert a girl's picture and a map into the Captain's cabin. Very minor eye-candy. I wanted to fix the patrol zones, change the periscope/ TBT marks, reduce the shipping and ultra traffic and a few things like that. As you said, someone with the proper tools and know-how could do this, but my computer skills fall far short. I suspect the people who wrote the code, could have done it in a couple hours, if they had but understood the value of it.

Quote:
Then of course there is the legal issue as to whether it is legal to distribute modded copies, (even for free).
This is something I will never understand. I mean how software companies can sell something that is in need of, for lack of a better word, "maintainance", wash their hands of it, but prevent anyone else from fixing it. I have to think the legalities of this will change one day.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote