View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 11:36 AM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Had the Leo 2 since the beginning the ammo stored in the tower ?

Not sure, but I guess so for the ready rack. Leo2A4 was the first being produced in large quantities, the earlier were prototypes and test models. I think I mixed it up, anyway, or did not express myself clear enough last time. The back part at the turret IS the ready rack, in a separate compartment, with the other rounds being stored below the turret, so you are right. That's why the turret needs to swing into a 5 clock position so that the gunner can access them. the M1 does not need to do that, but the reloading takes much longer in the M1. One could imagine tacical scenarios where you wish to access the remaining ammunition withiout needing to face the enemy the vulnerable flank and rear of the turret, although you would prefer to find a safe place first before reloading the rack. One could also imagine situations where the lesser time in the Leo 2 is of the essence. But I think all on all, in most situations (since you would check for a safe position in most situations anyway), the German procedure is the better one.

Also what is not fully clear to me is, do the Leo 2A5 also have a thermal imager for the peri, like the Leo 2A6 ?

The peri is for the TC only. TC has both the optical daylight peri, and thermal as a separate unit. Both are two different devices. Both are working independant from the gunner's sights. It works differently from what you know in the 2A4. TV overriding gunner also works different, and easier in the 2A5. One needs to love the 2A5, really.

And what is the overall ammo load of the Leo 2A5 ?

42 or 43 rounds. 42 I think.