View Single Post
Old 12-01-19, 05:55 PM   #1
Snorkel7
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Depth Charge Evasion Authenticity

I posted this on another forum. I was wondering what some of the opinions are. The premise was two fold even if the developer missed it:

1. The realism of real time evasion (in this case depth charges).

2. The time scale in regards to some of the game concerns.

Here is the initial post by me followed by the developer:

"I just started into this potential gem of a sim (GOG b124 Hotfix 2 version). I payed full price regardless. I use the term sim with trepidation. I guess this topic is respectfully addressed to the developer as well as the community.

"I realize after slogging through every conceivable thread and playing 20-30 hours, this game (in development) has remarkable potential. For starters, I wonder about the potential realism of depth charge evasion, in light of the following quote from the following book excerpt:"

"It takes some seconds for a depth charge to arch through the air and and more seconds to sink through the water to its depth, during which time a skillful skipper may maneuver out from under it. If he chooses to go down to say five hundred feet, he has quite a few seconds for evasive maneuvering. If you miss him once he has that fifteen minutes reprieve during which he doesn`t have to creep silently but can run at high speed while the ocean is reverberating and disturbed water conditions give your sonar phoney echoes"--from Twenty Million Tons Under The Sea by Admiral Daniel V. Gallery, USN (WOLPACK--Philip Kaplan, P. 52, 1997).

"If the former quote [fifteen minute evasive time] is not conceived in the game then you can hardly call it a "Sub Sim."

Reply From Developer:

"Hi,

Thank you for the kind word.

Depth charges sink speed should be mostly correct as they were taken from various specifications for each depth charge model.

15 minutes in this quote doesn't refer to evasion time for the submarine, but the time it has to escape from the area, while attacker's hydrophones are blinded by explosions of its own depth charges."

My Second Reply,

"I appreciate the reply. However, your answer does not completely answer the question. Is the "fifteen minutes" (in game) modeled on real time or default time compression like it is presently?

"Furthermore, when you say "area" are you referring to a "bubble" space in the game?"

The Developers Following Answer,

"Well, it's not a hard number at all. Author of this quote definitely just wanted to give an example of the scale. Time for that varied greatly due to many factors - attacking crew's skill, weather, detonation depth and power, even luck."

"There is also no such thing as a default time compression in the game during combat. Everything is 1:1 whenever u-boat is near other ships or land."

My Thoughts:

I feel the developer cleverly evaded the premise of my question or I did not explain my question well. Maybe I`m wrong out of respect. Notice the claim of 1:1 "time scale" when in contact with land and other ships. Some additional questions:

1. Does he (developer) suggest you have fifteen minutes to leave the area in a game time "bubble"?
2. Does 1:1 time scale stay active according to actual contact or is 1:1 time contained in a dynamic hard coded game bubble that swells in size according to some algorithm?

If so, then the detection model is not modeled very well in my opinion if the 1:1 time state is determined incorrectly, or fudged due to "gaminess."

I guess the real question is: When and how does the time compression "transition" occur according to global detection according to the sub itself in relation to other entities?

Answer: 1:1 Time state happens only during contact and visual land marks.

Last edited by Snorkel7; 12-04-19 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typo Corrections
Snorkel7 is offline   Reply With Quote