View Single Post
Old 01-26-19, 03:35 PM   #18
Seaowl
Sailor man

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Of course Wikipedia has not the same level of information as sources altogether dedicated the lighthouse-topic.
On the other hand, it is a good point to start with:
you are not overwhelmed, the information is clearly arranged, there are direct links to OpenStreetMap and – because both are given – you haven´t to convert degrees into decimal values.

My workflow was as follows: Following the coordinates, I tried to find approximately the location of the lighthouse on the SH5 map.
Then I compared the location on the SH5 map with the location of the lighthouse shown at OpenStreetMap.
In the end I placed the lighthouse on the SH5 map at that position, where I had the impression, it would represent best his real world position.
Often I put it nearer to the shore or at some nice shore nose around.

Two examples:

Grottuviti lighthouse at Island: The position 64.165°/-22.02195° provided by Wikipedia is located at sea on the Sh5 map.
In SH5 the island Grotta – the original place of Grottuviti – isn´t modelled.
But a little southward there is a island on the SH5 map, where OpenStreetMap indicates mainland.
Hence I placed Grottuviti there, at: 64.155472°/-22.030581.

Vardo lighthouse in the North-east of Norway: The Wikipedia position 70.38876°/31.15635° is – although near the shore – at sea.
The whole islands there aren´t modelled in detail.
Finally I placed the lighthouse at 70.389732°/31.151344° at some tongue of land .
And so on.

In addition there is only a fraction of the real world lighthouses into that Mis-file.
At the moment my foremost goal is not to have an exact real world representation (what wouldn´t be possible), but to see the effect of these lighthouses during campaign.

But probably I could convert the OpenSeaMap values and insert them into the Mis-file.
Then one could clearly see, where the lighthouses on their original location, were misplaced or not on the SH5 map.

That´s the one thing, the other thing are missing rocks and islands.
I have to lump together my hand written notes on them or collect the information anew.
It will take some time.

Concerning GR2 file import: At the moment I´am in a sort of trial and error stage.
I would be happy, if I succeed to import the lighthouse in its most basic form.
Once I´ve figured out how it works, I will take into account all these aspects you mentioned.
Thanks for that.

And I will have an eye on the 3D-coordinates of the Dats.
Thanks for that hint, too.
Next thing I will try is to import a non-working model into a working one.
Most likely I only overlook some small detail, as always.
Seaowl is offline   Reply With Quote