View Single Post
Old 08-07-20, 03:12 AM   #1
toolsey2
Watch

Downloads: 523
Uploads: 0
Icon14 U boat rubber coating

Hello ,
I have just watched a documentary called drain the oceans deep dive and it was about the U480 which patrolled in the channel and after three patrols hit a mine in 1945 and I was astounded to learn it had been equipped with a special rubber coating codenamed Alberich which made it practically invisible to sonar at the time I have read many books books on Naval warfare and have read a lot of stuff over the years but I don’t remember ever hearing about this before , my late father was in the Atlantic in the war and I have his Atlantic star still I have his papers where he trained before the war on the whitehead torpedo and incidentally during training in Chatham there were Japanese officer cadets in his class so we trained the Japanese who went back to Japan and developed the famous Long Lance torpedo and were intensely interested in the Taranto harbour attack which crippled the Italian Mediterranean fleet which in turn could have led to Pearl harbour .
Anyway I digress back to the rubber coating does anyway know whether this coating is modelled in any silent Hunter mods or the base game
Regards
toolsey2 is offline   Reply With Quote