View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 05:58 PM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Kinda, part of the issue was Goblin throwing a fit when trying to display ships with _night textures, but I still don't know why editor also CTD's on stock, unmodified NF_boat_1 and NRTW files for me, unless I launch them from already running editor window. But that's the problem I can go around.
Well, Editor might be more strict than the game itself when it comes to some controllers; maybe Goblin is not expecting HarborObjectCtrl to be linked to a unit, but don't quote me on that.

A while ago, Goblin Editor's viewport stopped working on my computer. Everything worked, but the loaded models weren't displayed. The problem lasted for several months, then as suddenly as it had appeared it vanished. I suspect a graphic driver update solved it but I am not 100% sure.

More recently, Silent3ditor started crashing every time I tried running it. In that case, skwasjer's help was providential:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1341

Quote:
That's a bummer. Yes, I know we can go this way (and it seems we'll have to), I simply hoped for an elegant solution that would not require any modifications to base unit.
I understand that. A possible solution might be keeping stock portholes, and modelling illuminated porthole glasses as optional equipment for neutral ships only. In order to avoid clipping/flickerings, the illuminated glasses should be a bit bigger than 'standard' glasses, and they should stick slightly in front of them.

Quote:
Not complicated at all on models like C3 Cargo with painted windows (I did exactly that on this very unit), but outright impossible with units where porthole is modeled and UV-map of hull around it overlaps with parts of hull that are nowhere near portholes.
Yes sure, where overlapping UV maps apply, light cones can't be painted directly on ship surfaces. You should cover the stock surfaces with purposely modelled and UV-mapped 'illuminated' surfaces. Again, those surfaces should be linked to ship units via eqp files, having care that they slightly stick out from the stock surfaces
gap is offline   Reply With Quote