View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 03:12 PM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I think you had encountered some problems with the usage of the HarborObjectCtrl controller on some ships. Did you manage tracking down and solving the issue?
Kinda, part of the issue was Goblin throwing a fit when trying to display ships with _night textures, but I still don't know why editor also CTD's on stock, unmodified NF_boat_1 and NRTW files for me, unless I launch them from already running editor window. But that's the problem I can go around.

Quote:
As far as I know, only cfg, eqp and sns files can be used to customize proxy clones. All the other files are from the parent unit. What could be surely done, is separating portholes and navigation lights from the ship models and setting them up as equipment objects to be linked to their respective units through eqp files. For each ship model we could have two porthole equipment item: one lit for neutral ships, and one unlit for non-neutrals.
That's a bummer. Yes, I know we can go this way (and it seems we'll have to), I simply hoped for an elegant solution that would not require any modifications to base unit.

Quote:
Yes, unlike light nodes used to illuminate .dat ships (which cast "real" light) port lights are fake lights. The advantage is that their rendering is not GPU-intensive, the disadvantages are the ones you have described above. You could fake light halos by painting them on the surfaces close to a light source, but that is probably too complicated for the small benefit involved.
Not complicated at all on models like C3 Cargo with painted windows (I did exactly that on this very unit), but outright impossible with units where porthole is modeled and UV-map of hull around it overlaps with parts of hull that are nowhere near portholes.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote